FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, MasterTechnician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

I was in my 2001 nissan altimaxe today and i heard this

Customer Question

I was in my 2001 nissan altimaxe today and i heard this popping sound like plastic coke bottle from direction of dash then my temp gage fluttered from 1/2 to 1/4 then back. I checked my coolant its fine no oil dripping no leaks no check engine light no black smoke from engine have been told by mechanic. I have minor oil leak from distributor. What caused. Popping sound and problems with temp gage needle
Category: Nissan
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the noise was coming from under the dash then it may have been air in the heater core. This can occur if the engine temperature is not regulated. If the temperature is fluctuating like that then you may have an issue with the thermostat failing. It is also common for the catalytic converter in the exhaust to start to fail and make a noise like this which can also cause some engine temperature issues. These things needs to be checked first. Please let me know if you need more help.