Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2004 maxima with 68k miles. Sunday we noticed after

Customer Question

I have a 2004 maxima with 68k miles. Sunday we noticed after getting home and going out to garage a loud noise was coming behind engine. Dc the battery and googled. Said it could be motor mounts. Took to dealer and of course no sound after engine was shut off. Told to come back if I hear it. Drive it yesterday and ABS light came on and a sound like a fan is running after you shut it off. I recorded it. Wondering if this is something I can fix it go through dealer. I have a warranty that I bought which covers quite a bit except the radio I purchased when I bought the car used. Dealer wants 150 just to do diagnostic and will go from there to contact Ford's warranty that I purchased to see what they will and will not cover. Said they have never had a problem with my warranty company. Your thoughts. I did read I could pull some relay fuse and if the sound shuts off it is the abs motor but not to drive around with fuse out as my brakes could lock up.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Right now it is just the ABS light. Yesterday the engine light went on but it could be the battery cable was not right since we have been disconnecting so we don't drain the battery. Today I moved it into the garage and just ABS is lit up on dash.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything as I know basic car stuff but nothing about ABS. Just curious if it's something I can fix vs going to the dealer. I am a female and not sure I'm comfy messing with electrical stuff.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. Bought the car 3 years ago with 40500 miles on it and runs great. And I keep it maintained. Did out new brakes and rotors on a year ago from our regular mechanic.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I have to wait more than ten minutes I need to know now. I can't wait for a response in a day as I need to have a reliable vehicle and need to know if I need to get to the dealer now. Didn't even realize I was being charged for this as I thought I was clicking on a forum and a chat assistant took over my screen to ask me to write my question. Very sneaky.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not signing up for no free trial and have to jump through too many loops to try and get it cancelled in 7 days.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.
If the ABS light is on its more than likely your ABS module that's failed. This year model was known for having water get backed up in the drains for the sensors and short out the speed sensors. The sensors run off an ac voltage and fry the ABS module. This required the wheel speed sensor drains to be ground out and the sensor replaced along with the ABS module. You looking at about a $1200 repair from your description of symptoms.That's why people pull the ANS fuse and disable it.