peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Lock mode p1610, Cranking won't start tried to do the cycle

Customer Question

Lock mode p1610
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: Cranking won't start tried to do the cycle 3 times
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Altima 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried the cycle 3 times tried to leave battery unhooked checked all fuese
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It is theft lock mode that bus coding I left house force half hour it was fine then filled up with gad it wouldn't start wentbin rry o lick mode
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Filled up with gas then it wouldn't start hooked diagnostic tool and it coded lock mode p1610
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2.5

O.k.,I will post the diagnostics for this code below.The fault can either be the manual relearn needs done,then if this does not work then a relearn needs done with a dealers Consult II tool plugged into your model,then if this does not correct the fault the BCM (body control module) has failed and needs replaced then the relearn done with the consult II after it is replaced.It is one of these that will correct this here and since this occurred suddenly it is very possible the BCM has failed all of a sudden.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5i94ima80ljeype/b-08-10.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wj9aifg79w77065/bc-08-10.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it must go to a dealer?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it isn't a theft lock code?

It is a dealer or local repair center that will have the correct diagnostic tool to test the signals as shown in the diagnostic procedure above to see if it just needs relearned with their diagnostic compatible scan tool or if the BCM needs replaced then relearned unfortunately.You can try the manual procedure yourself but if you already have and it did not work I suspect the BCM has failed and it will require a dealer to replace and program this for you or a service center that has the correct tools to do this as well as access to programming.

It is a theft code and the BCM is a computer that is part of the theft system.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we tried the 3 time cycle it didn't work

O.k.,most likely it will not work to relearn it with the dealers Consult II tool plugged into your model as well.You will have to see if they can relearn it with this tool as this is the next step for the code set here.Then if it does relearn you should be good to go from there.The dealer can charge anywhere from a half hour to an hour to relearn this.If this does not relearn even with their tool then the fault is with the BCM itself needing replaced as this is according to the code that has set here.Once the BCM is replaced it will then be relearned by the dealer to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately in most all cases this has to be done by a dealer as most independent repair facilities are unable to do this for you.

Thanks Pete