Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

When idling oil light comes on as sone as raise rpm's goes

Customer Question

when idling oil light comes on as sone as raise rpm's goes off change sinding unit have good oil pressure but not on idle
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Has the oil pressure been tested or just using the light on the dash as a guide?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When driving oils shows good on gauge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

I got that from your original statement.

What you have to do is have the actual oil pressure tested with a gauge.

14psi is the idle pressure. Anything less should be kicking the light on. If there is less then that though, it indicates the oil pump is failing.

I do see you changed the oil which is a good start, if you didn't then you should also change the filter. But, it sounds like the oil pump could be going out on it. You should really have the pressure tested to know where you stand with this. If you want to test it yourself, then the gauge screws in where the oil sending unit is. Then you pretty much just fire it up and let it idle.

Sometimes using a slightly heavier oil will help this as well. Like maybe using 10-30 instead of 5-30. Just to get a little more time out of it before you have to replace the oil pump.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!