Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

1997 nissan pickup. 4cyl. with auto trans. I'm trying to

Customer Question

1997 nissan pickup. 4cyl. with auto trans. I'm trying to locate the starter relay
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 87.000 battery is 6 months old
JA: Are you fixing your Pickup yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: FIXING MYSELF, REPLACED THE GROUND CABLE
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Nissan
Expert:  internal88 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Nissan tech.

There is no starter relay for your vehicle.

Here is the diagram.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.

There is a starter relay for your vehicle if its an automatic, its called the inhibitor relay.

Inhibitor relay is a neutral safety switch basically.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.

Brandon, thanks for your help here just making sure the customer gets proper information they asked for, and although on this year model it's not named the starter relay, it is in fact the same thing.

A starter relay is nothing more than a relay in the starting circuit that requires a pre-set condition for the relay to be energized and provide power to the starter solenoid. The inhibitor relay does that for this specific truck. It simply requires that the PNP switch (neutral safety switch) on the transmission be in a safe position (park or neutral) before the relay is grounded. This then allows current to flow from the ignition switch to the solenoid. The inhibitor relay is not a neutral safety switch, that is on the transmission itself.

Brandon, I am sure the customer will find your diagram helpful should he plan on doing any electrical troubleshooting from here on out and I will be more than happy to let you all complete any required tests from here. Just wanted to chime in to make sure you both were aware.

thanks again.