Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985

I bought the car nowing it had a problem and wouldnt pass nc

Customer Question

i bought the car nowing it had a problem and wouldnt pass nc state insp. the wire going to the crank sensor was unpluged when i got it . could the reason wire has no juice is the ecm is bad?
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: no it runs good.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 1996
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: only thing i have done is hook scan tool up. when i found no elect. on crank sensor i knew i was over my head.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

How is the engine running without a functional crankshaft position sensor?

Anyhow, what engine is this and what model Nissan is it?

Normally the ECM supplies the crankshaft position sensor with 5 volts. If there is no voltage, check again at the pin at the ECM. If still nothing it could be a faulty ECM but first check all of the ECM fuses.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

I see from your other post you mention a crank sensor and a knock sensor. Now that makes more sense a knock sensor cause like I said, the engine shouldn't run with a faulty crank sensor.

I believe the knock sensor produces it's own signal, there is no so-called juice going to it, so it's probably a bad sensor.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Here, this is right out of the repair manual, "Knock sensor detects engine knocking, converts knocking vibration into voltage signal and transmits signal to the ECM. Information is used by ECM to adjust ignition timing accordingly to eliminate detonation.".