JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member
6149662

I have a 1995 nissian ultima, i had no warning. ( i have a

Customer Question

I have a 1995 nissian ultima, i had no warning. ( i have a small leak with my oil and my antifreeze, that i check weekly) but other then that was fine. I was driving down the high way all of a sudden my engine started missing i lost power and engine cutt. Is would evwn mae a noise trying to turn the key back over. Under the hood i foung my distributor cap had partially melted replaced that and the ring inside of it and then it acted like it wanted to start but wouldn't. Replaced all my spark plugs and it still won't turn over. There's no smell of gas in the engine. Do ypu know what that can be ?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 months ago.

does it have fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do i tell?

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.