Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

My1997qx4 wont turn over if I try to restart the car after

Customer Question

my1997qx4 wont turn over if I try to restart the car after driving. I need to wait about an hour to restart. These are the items that are new and its still not starting: starter relay,ignition/starter,fuel pump,distributor,ecu,crankshaft sensor(oem), knock sensor. The check engine code is 1447, 1447B which is the evap valve/ canister. Can that issue cause faulty start? Should I look into the fuel temp sensor being replaced? Thank you, Monica
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: Whats a fuel pressure sensor? Is that the same as fuel temp sensor? Fuel rail? The problem seems to be heat related. I was also told my battery cables may be in need of replacement.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: Its an infiniti qx4 1997.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Please read my first entry
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Did you see the list of various replacements I've done?
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The trani stays hot for a while after turned off. Was told this when my crank sensor was being replaced. My trani does not have any known issues. Could this be effecting the crank sensor? Can it be relocated? Knock sensor is spliced in on top of engine..it saved labor cost. Replacing the crank sensor did not fix my start problem but the car does run better. Previous sensor was not OEM.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for allowing me to try and help you. First of all if it's not cranking it's in the starter circuit not any sensors. when it gets hot from driving the resistances go up so all cables and connections and battery health need to be in good shape. the first thing I would do is a battery load test to make sure it can handle a high amp draw. then a starter draw test, this will show whether it's a starter drawing too high or no draw . and check all cables for connections and especially grounds as they tend to deplete with age.also check to see if the relay does click when ignition is turned off and on. it would be beneficial if you can do this when the problem presents itself. perhaps go for a drive long enough to trigger that issue then return to where you can perform these tests. After you done these testes let me know what you found.good luck

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car attempts to crank but won't start. Also, is the evap issue part of the start problem. I am the second owner of the Infiniti. It came from a good home and service history. (Previous owners good friends) the problem was sudden. Drove it one and 1/2 years before this started.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has a brand new battery

you stated it tries to crank? not pepy so if the battery hasn't got enough what they call reserve power it won't have enough going to the ignition to fire all it's energy is going to the starter to run it first. please do a battery load test first. No the evap has nothing to do with starting. let me know how the battery load test pans out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you !!

your very welcome,