Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2012 Pathfinder with a factory installed towing

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Pathfinder with a factory installed towing package....My trailer lights do not work. I ran a test light on the 4 pin plug and the directional leads work, but not the brown one (which I believe is for the brake/tailights). I am trying to locate where the 3 to 2 lead co0nverter to see if that is what the problem is....or any ideas to fix this
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not just looking for the converter, but when I hook up to the trailer, there are no lights at all operational on the trailer.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Did you previously have working trailer lights? Or is his your first attempt to use them?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did have trailer lights previously.
.had a connection one day....then they went out in transit....we Checked the trailer nd it's fine on 2 different vehicle, so we know it's my truck
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to know for sure before proceeding as some people purchase these trucks with the hitch installed and "assume" it has a complete tow package when it's missing relays.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No problem... Let me know what other information you may need.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Nothing at the moment, I need to access my database to look at something but I'm on a flight and can't at this exact moment. Talk to you soon.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

I apologize for the delay, here is the wiring diagram so we can get started later today when your ready.

let me know a good time for you please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you....There have been some developments that are worth mentioning:
* Last week when I tested the 4 prong plug at the back on a different trailer, it didn't work. In discussing with my mechanic, he showed me another set of fuses that were under the hood, behind where the relays were. He found a fuse that was blown and a wire that had "slipped out". He fixed it and we now have power on the 4 prong plug....BUTBUT, my camper has a round 7 plug. Prior to the malfunction, we had a 4 to 7 adapter connected in the back and it worked fine. The day of the malfunction, it wasn't a quick on and off...but rather a fade from on to off when the lights went. We replaced the plug too, and it still isn't working when the converter was hooked to the 4 prong plug. I believe it is grounded properly, but have not tested it.So...I believe it could be the ground or the new plug...or is there something else I am missing. Sorry for so many questions...I am trying to wrap this up before going camping next week.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

ok, I admit I am a little confused here.

Most factory tow packages incorporate the 7 pin plug at the hitch. Why are you using an adapter for the trailer if they are both 7 pin? are you sating that your hitch only has a 4 pin set-up?

Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

The reason I am asking this is because a factory 4 pin set-up does not provide trailer brake function or aux power so if this is a travel trailer that could be a safety issue and power issue.

Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

4 to 7 pin adapters are created to be used from a 7 pin to down-convert and use a 4 pin trailer, not vice versa.

Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

so if the trailer lights work properly at your 4 pin connector now (all you need is a test light to verify tails, turns, ground)

assuming they are working properly the problem is at your camper harness or the camper fuse panel (usually inside the camper by the entry somewhere)