Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design

I just purchased this car. yes, i filled up the gas tank but

Customer Question

i just purchased this car. yes, i filled up the gas tank but when I did I noticed that the gas cap was on tight.I am now receiving Service engine soon light (Steady).
JA: Have you checked the gas cap for cracks? Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: not yet. I was curious if a seal was broken when I twisted the cap.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2006 xterra
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: SE
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: im not sure
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

as there's a variable service interval on this vehicle then it may be nothing sinister and just that its due a service / oil change ?

As the ECU logs how hard the engine is being used and judges accordingly to when it will need fresh oil

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just had the oil changed along with transmission and coolant flush. The car seems to run fine but just noticed the light. It is steady. The manual refers to gas cap. I had a problem opening the cap (too tight) and I'm curious if the cap maybe bad?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

when the oil was replaced then the service interval will also need resetting ?

try this

1) Sit in the driver's seat.
2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.
5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.
Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying SES light) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s)

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you