Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.

Our 2012 Quest's A/C lines are corroded. We have maintained

Customer Question

Our 2012 Quest's A/C lines are corroded. We have maintained the vehicle regularly at the dealership and followed all advice related to ensuring the undercarriage is regularly cleaned to remove road salt in the winter. Vehicle is still under warranty. Is the replacement of these lines covered? Is this a common problem? Vehicle is only 4 year old - seems odd that the lines would corrode?!?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Unless the line has technically failed, there is no provision for rusted lines, any lines for that matter, a/c lines, powersteering lines, brake lines, etc. The only rust protection under Nissan warranty is sheet metal body panels, and the frame, to the original purchaser as the manual reads. Unless the line fails, it would be hard to get it covered in my opinion for corrosion. And as well in the exclusions of the warranty, it says any environmental damage, due to hail, lightning, etc. isn't covered. Have you had the service manager look at this or brought it in for a dealer to inspect yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we have. Over $3200 to repair is the estimate they gave us. Wondering why they corroded in the first place? Have never had that happen on any other vehicle we've owned, minivans included. Is this common?
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

So there is a failure associated with the corroded lines? Are the lines leaking?

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Did you lose A/C function?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
was taking a long time for van to cool down - lines are corroded and leaking, causing reduced A/C function. It's not completely gone, but not efficient.
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

I follow you, what is the approximate mileage on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just under 60,000km.
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Alright, This is associated with the lines running to the rear A/C correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the rear of the van, hence the cost to replace them.
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Alright, It's not been a widespread problem to my knowledge on the Quest vans. The rear lines are much more exposed to the elements than the front lines are, as they run down the frame rail on the undercarriage so that is why I assumed it was for the rear. You have a 3/36 bumper to bumper and a 5/60 powertrain warranty on the vehicle. If it was within 3/36 it would have to be covered, but since it's not, I do not believe you are going to be able to get this repair covered. You could plead your case to the service manager or dealership owner and to the warranty rep from Nisan, but from the way the warranty booklet reads to me, I don't believe they are obligated to fix it, I have seen Nissan meet customers 1/2 way before though, or split labor/parts costs before. So I would politely ask the service manager if there is anything he can do to help you on this repair as the vehicle is still fairly new. There also could be a way to delete the rear A/C if you do not use it much. or don't carry a full passenger load much. Then you would just have the front A/C. I just wanted to give that option. Also, there is some aluminum style tube wrapping that dorman makes for these exposed lines that you should install to keep the lines from corroding again if you elect to have them replaced. Which is what Nissan should have done from the factory in my opinion. These are some things you can consider, and it would be up to a warranty rep from Nissan to have the final determination on whether Nissan would cover some, or all of the repair. You could also call Nissan consumer affairs and see what they say and if they can do anything on their end to help get the repair covered. Their number is(###) ###-#### Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Absolutely, Thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions.