Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

2008 Nissan Versa won't really accelerate when in gear the

Customer Question

2008 Nissan Versa won't really accelerate when in gear the engine doesn't even rev up. Seems to do fine in reverse. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Will the engine rev fine in neutral?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When first started it revs up fine in park and neutral. When put in drive it runs at idle speed down the road. When parked after idling down the road it would not rev up in any gear including neutral. It acts like it wants to rev up but does not.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much for the additional info.
The fact that once it has been put in gear it will no longer rev is concerning and unless the service engine light is on indicating a throttle code then your likely looking at a CVT issue.
That being said your mileage will be an important issue on how to proceed since these CVT transmissions were warranties for 10yrs/100k miles.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The service engine light is on but I don't see any codes
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
You have to use a code reader or scan tool to read codes.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I thought that it might be the cvt but when first started it drives correctly for about 200 feet then drops to idle speed. Very strange. I will have it coded and see what it says.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Let me know what codes you get please.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's reading code P0300
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
P0300 codes are pretty uncommon on these engines unless you have a MAF issue or an intake tube that's loose.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will that cause my car to act like it is?
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
MAF issues can cause fail safe conditions, but not like yours, they cause it to not go over 2500rpms.
I'm pretty concerned you may a CVT issue here.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm hoping it's a throttle body issue. It's got about 160000 miles on it. Not worth changing the cvt. I'm going to take it to be coded on one of the new coding machines that tell you everything.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Any high end scanner can read transmission codes and other modules.
From experience though I'll let you know it doesn't sound like your average throttle or APP sensor issue.
Have them view the throttle and APP readings as you press he gas pedal on the scanner, if you have a steady voltage rise in both of them and the RPM's never move them you know it's not them. Then you need to consider the CVT issue I talked about.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
If you need anything else let me know. If not please leave a kind rating for me
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

did you have further questions?