Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Jay, I have an 05 Pathfinder, and I pulled a code from OBD

Customer Question

Hello Jay, I have an 05 Pathfinder, and I pulled a code from OBD of P0430, but also, the car has been stalling randomly while driving for a second and keeps on going. I changed the ECM relay in the IPDM, and no change. Is this an IPDM problem?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 165,000 sometimes it has a problem starting, forgot to mention that. That was the first thing that started. I went away on vacation, the car sat for a week, so I thought it may have been water in the tank.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 05 Pathfinder
JA: What year is your Nissan?
Customer: 2005 Pathfinder
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to fix it myself if possible. I have been researching a lot, and I changed the ECM relay this morning, but again, the engine shutdown for one second while driving today.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you mean the code is P0340?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Jay,
No, the code is P0430 Catalyst issue… I also forgot to mention following a stall that I have, the VDC Off and slip lights remain on. I have replaced the ECM relay in the IPDM, but I have read many things on the internet that say it could be the IPDM causing the problem. What are your thoughts?
Thank you,
Brad
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, I did get a P0335 code once after the power to the engine failed.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

The P0335 code is for the Crank Sensor which can cause stalling. The P0430 code is for the Bank 2 Catt Converter.

So the Crank sensor will need to be replaced, which I recommend you get the sensor from the dealer cause after market electrical parts never work right.

The Bank 2 Catt converter will also need to be replaced to resolve that code.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, Jay! I do have more questions. The crank sensor can cause the VDC Off and Slip light to remain on? Also, I know there are two cats on each bank. Will they both need to be replaced?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Another question just popped in... Would the crankshaft position sensor cause it to not fire? All of the stalling and starting problems I have had started after I had been on vacation and hadn't driven the vehicle for a week. When I attempted to start the car the first time after, the engine would turn over but no fire. I thought I might have had water settle in the bottom of the tank, and there was no code produced at that time for crank sensor. BTW, Thank you for your help! I really do appreciate it! I am an average backyard mechanic, but the newer cars are far more difficult.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. The Crank Sensor can cause a VDC light as well as a Cam Sensor code. You would get a Engine Speed Signal code in the ABS system.

The only way to really determine if both catts need to be replaced is to monitor the 02 sensor operation to see if it's mimic's the front 02 sensor. If it does, then that catt would need to be replaced as well.