KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY QUESTION CORRECTLY
5629372

I have a 2001 Nissan Quest and the timing belt broke for the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2001 Nissan Quest and the timing belt broke for the second time in 6 months. It is currently at a shop where the mechanic refuses to listen to me about the engine being non-interference engine. He pulled the timing cover off and said the the left camshaft is seized and the sprocket is bent. Is there away to unseize the camshaft and get the timing belt on or is this engine done like the mechanic says? They are charging me $200 for basically taking off the cover and removing the broke timing belt and I still don't have a fix. Is it possible that the camshaft position sensor could be causing the camshaft to seize?
Thanks!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 4 months ago.

I hate to say it but at the very least you would have to have the head replaced. This engine does not have an actual cam bearing. The cam shaft sits directly into the aluminum of the head. How many miles does the engine have on it?

And no the cam sensor can not seize the cam up.

If the engine has to many miles on it, you would be better off replacing it.