Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have an electrical problem. I went to start up my 1994

Customer Question

I have an electrical problem. I went to start up my 1994 Altima recently, and found the battery dead. I jump-started it, and the engine fired up and the system showed that it was charging. Then I noticed that the brake lights were on continually. I then found that the little plastic button on the brake petal had shattered. I replaced it, but still had the problem. The switch that contacts it meters out OK. The lights stay on whether the switch actuator is depressed or not. I even opened the switch and found the contacts inside were in good condition. With an ohm-meter, the switch measures open depressed and has low ohms not. I've tried to locate a diagram, as I'm thinking a relay may have had its contacts burnt up as the battery voltage went down. Is there a relay in the circuit? Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

Do the lights stay on with the switch unplugged?

Could it be the tail lights that are staying on? (2 way bulbs)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jerry: Sorry to be so slow responding. Didn't know that I'd be busy mowing the yard and the field below today. To your 2 Qs:
Yes, they do, including the rear window brake light. And it's not the tail (running) lights. Also, the dash light, which usually indicates that the E brake lever is pulled,, has a faint glow to it. Will try to take another look at it tomorrow.

I see, thanks. You will want to try unplugging the ABS module as well, to see if the stop lights go out. Being that the "E" brake light is on dim, the current could be back feeding from there, thanks

The ABS module is under the left side of the dash. Please see attached diagram, thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's been a few days since I got back to checking the car out..... It has no ABS, so that is out. I know the dif between brake and tail lights... What I found was that there are two brake pedal switches..... The one I could barely see and checked out was in the cruise control circuit.... There is another one out of sight above it..... It's in the main brake light circuit..... A little plastic button has to be in place on the pedal to shut off the brake lights..... I just moved the button to the upper hole and Vola!, lights go out as they should....
As I don't use cruise, I don't know how long the lower one has been missing.. Anyway, advise others about this.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jerry is probably a good mechanic, but may be a little weak on wiring diagrams for vehicles other than GM products.