Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

TCS, ABS & CEL lights are on. Engine bucks HARD. No

Customer Question

TCS, ABS & CEL lights are on. Engine bucks HARD. No acceleration unless throttle is floored. Wheel speed sensors on Front Right and Rear Right were throwing codes _Replaced them! no change in symptoms. My repair shop has had it for over a month and is about out of ideas (so are their national techs!) They have replaced Crank and Cam sensors,fixed wiring and wiring plugs, reprogrammed Computer, disconnected ABS module and more. Still nothing - actually runs worse now.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: on constantly but at times it used to stay off for a few minutes and car would run fine until TCS and Slip lights come on
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2002 Nissan - Maxima SE - 3.5L,V6 (2130) VIN(D)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: VIN#: JNIDA31A7 2T301604
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Car had electronic front eng/tranie mount but was changed to a regular mount without electronic switch. Problem first appeared as a one time buck while driving cross country (1400 mile trip) after that no other events for a month or so. Then it progressed to the point that the car is not drive-able.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Can you provide me a list of all current and past codes you were and are getting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I did not record them all I remember is the two wheal speed sensors and the CAM sensor and I think a random misfire code.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

I would need some codes in order to properly give some direction. Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think so. Like I said the car is in the shop and the shop is 1400 miles away!
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

May want to call the shop and see if they can give you the codes so you can share them with me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They are not open right now! How would I get back to this site/you to give the answer?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Once you get the codes ( all of them ) past and present, simply log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back to this question so we can continue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK I will see what I can get! Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome. Talk to you soon

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Checking in to see how you are making out

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I finally got hold of the mechanic and the codes were P0335, P0113, P0340. The problem only happens when the ABS and TCS lights are on.
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Thank you.. The P0340 is a Cam sensor and the P0335 is a Crank Sensor. When you get either of these codes, it can set a TCS and ABS light. So you are going to want to replace those sensors with ones from the dealer. After market electrical parts never work right.

The P0113 is for the intake air temp sensor. That is part of the MAF sensor. So that sensor will need to be replaced as well. Once again, dealer recommended since after market ones never work right.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know what the codes mean and the sensors have been replaced a couple of times (last time with dealer sensors). The problem persists. When looking at the crank sensor signal with a scope the signal gets distorted when the engine malfunctions. The torque plate has been examined to check for cracks etc and nothing was found. The wiring was checked back to the computer and replaced due to some bare wires that were found and the plug was replaced (it was old and brittle and not working right. The ABS system was even unplugged to see if it was causing the problem with still no joy. The mechanic is now tracing and inspecting wires.