Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair

A couple of things: 1) the crankshaft position sensor code

Customer Question

A couple of things Mike: 1) the crankshaft position sensor code is going off causing check engine 2) in reverse gear, the transmission doesn't engage occasionally, with what sounds like an abnormal spinning/light grinding noise... then disengaging the gear and re-engages seems to solve the problem every time
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Light stays on. My mechanic said I should probably replace the sensor at some point, because otherwise it may go bad at an inopportune time, and not allow me to start the vehicle.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2000 Nissan Frontier SE, manual transmission
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am thinking I'll have the mechanic replace the sensor, if it's absolutely necessary.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope, nothing else at the moment.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Before you replace any thing can you give me the actual fault code your getting I will see if I can help you with this . Post back when you can and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you! It's p0335.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The code P0335 is in fact usually set due to a failing Crankshaft position sensor and or the connection to it. Before you consider replacing it you should test it and the circuit. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below. The CKP sensor is used for cylinder detect misfire ONLY - not for engine operation so in most cases it will not leave you stranded.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is CKP an acronym for crankshaft position?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Yes that is correct. Sorry for the delay. I had to steps out for a moment.