Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2003 maxima 3.5 cranks runs smooth when you mess the petal

Customer Question

2003 maxima 3.5 cranks runs smooth when you mess the petal it boggs down I have changed injecters and mass air spark plugs fuel pump coils what is going on
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Do you have a check engine light on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, do you have any idea what codes are being stored?

Also, did you use a maf sensor from the dealer when you replaced it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I started it had 25 codes I started narrow down
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
new maf sender it help but still when you put it in gear startstart doing same thing
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Can you share the current codes with me please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has po300. P1800 po328 po300 po1800 p0328
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks

I would focus on the VIAS solenoid code. This is the one that actually opens the butterflies inside the chamber to give the car power under load. I am not saying 100% this is the issue, but have you done anything with it?
Testing it or seeing if it's actually working or not?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know where this is
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have looked at so many where is it located
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok

It's not a great diagram, but this is mounted on the upper intake, then is has a vacuum line that runs over to the passenger side of the intake. You can see the lever it controls when vacuum is applied. If it's not opening this lever, the car is going to be a dog with no power at all. Get a helper and make sure it's pulling vacuum when accelerating, if it's not, check and make sure it's got power to it.

Please see the diagram, I will try to get a better diagram for you as well.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Heres a better diagram, it controls the power valve actuator.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try that now
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Yeah, make sure the power valve moves when you step on the gas. If it doesn't then you have to check the solenoid to see if it's working if it's not sending vacuum she'll be a dog.

The 328 is the knock sensor, it's not really a problem and the P0300 might be caused by the VIAS not working properly

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am going to try it right now get back to you soon thanks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

You're very welcome!

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The valve is getting good suction I did change the lines but it is not moving the flap arm and it started idiels rough
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok

So, it is pulling a vacuum when you rev the engine to the power valve?
Can you move the power valve by hand or not?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can move it but it doest do any different
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

It shouldn't have a constant vacuum that is the job of the solenoid, there shouldn't be vacuum until the computer tells it to switch the solenoid.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

hat you need to do is put someone in the car because it has the electronic throttle, have them hit the gas quick and see if that arm is moving, if it is, then the solenoid is working like it should, if not, then it's not getting signal or the diaphram on the power valve is no good, OR it's dropped the screws that hold them in place inside.

This would be very bad.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok let me try it that way
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I gonna have to go get the part
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

It shouldn't have full vacuum all the time, if it does, you have to check and make sure the computer isn't grounding the solenoid all the time. You can do this with a test light and the solenoid plugged in. If it's grounded, there won't be power on the yellow/green striped wire. There should be voltage on that wire until the computer sends the ground signal.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok dealer did not have part so long am going to salvage yard in the morning and then I will let you know
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I changed all if that plus the cam shaft censor and I'm still getting the same result any more ideas
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The front bank is not responsible at all it still running on back three. You can unplug all three on front but it want make it do anything