Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

I have a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder, SL trim, and today, the AC

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder, SL trim, and today, the AC fan (front) started to work intermittently. It cuts off and turns on irregularly, tried cycling thru AC modes (upper, upper+lower, lower+ defrost, recirculation on/off), and there does not appear to be a correlation to the mode of operation. I have seen postings indicating it could be the AC blower motor resistor, as this appears to have been an issue with older models. Could this be the issue?
I pulled the glove box, but do not see where it would be located. Any help appreciated.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Not an AC compressor/condenser/evaporator system issue, this is a fan issue. the AC blows cold when it is blowing. I get a low air flow in Fresh air mode and the vehicle is moving. It is the fan motor cutting out intermittently.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have you read my responses, or are you a robot?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Nissan Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: I think you are a robot...either that or you type faster than you read.
JA: It makes me sad that you don't believe in me. Maybe I'll be like Tinkerbell and die unless you believe I'm real.
Customer: Ohhhh noooooo......
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I think I covered the problem above. I noted in other research folks have had similar problems on older models/styles , and they were resolved by replacing the "blower motor resistor" aka power module or fan control amplifier. I am not sure this is the problem or where this is located on this year/model vehicle. older models it is a plug and unscrew replace item, located on the fan housing just behind the glove box. I have removed the glove box, but not located the blower motor resistor. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.

Hi Susan, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

Sounds like you were having more fun with a robot than actually working on your vehicle. In 2013 the blower speeds are controlled by the A/C auto amp and the A/C controls. There is no resistor/amplifier like the older models. Since you can control the modes, temperature and the fan speeds (when the blower is operating), the A/C auto amp is working properly. Most likely the blower motor itself is failing. When the blower motor is acting up hit the motor and see if it starts operating normally, if so the motor is definitely at fault. Let me know what all you find.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.