peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

06 Quest: The 10A fuse under the hood on the passenger side

Customer Question

06 Quest: The 10A fuse under the hood on the passenger side for the AC keeps blowing. Happened yesterday was parked and kids were playing with AC controls then had no cold air. What could be causing this?
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: I hope so this was the first time its happened since we purchased it new.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2006 Quest
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to save a few bucks and fix it myself. I have only replaced the fuse twice. It seems to blow when the AC button is pressed inside the van.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It's old and has been beaten up by my kids and wife. The instrument cluster doesn't always show the mileage, temp,fuel levels. Wife thought it was overheating yesterday prior to the AC going out.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does your model have the AUTO heat and ac with the auto temp settings and controls or manual controls?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe it has manual controls. Physically have to turn knobs for AC and Heat. Has rear controls for the back of the van.

O.k.,this fuse powers the ac compressor from what I see and no other electronics are inline.So with this fuse blowing out like this the most common cause is a shorted coil control on the ac compressor with the compressor needing replaced or worn ac compressor motor or that there is a fault in the wiring leading from this fuse to the compressor.If this only occurred after the kids played with the ac controls it is possible the switching on and off of the controls caused the ac compressor to short out internally with the surge of signals to it.I have seen this fail before like this here and the compressor had to be replaced.

You will have to have the wiring checked from the compressor to the fuse and if all wiring is found o.k. then I suspect the ac compressor needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was going to do what you mentioned previously. But my wife called me and the van overheated twice less than a***** I have not seen any antifreeze in my driveway but there was none in the reservoir. She filled up the reservoir with water and when she got home it was empty again. No check engine lights come on.We are considering taking it to a mech.

This may be a cylinder head gasket leak to where coolant is mixing with the engine oil or coolant is being burned off in the exhaust.I have seen issues with the head gaskets before cause this fault here.This would be best tested/checked by a dealer or repair facility to test and see if for sure this is the fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated

Thanks Pete