Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I have a 2002 Nissan 2.5 I was trying to figure out why the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Nissan 2.5 I was trying to figure out why the air conditioner compressor wouldn't come on so I found a relay box in the engine compartment on the passenger side checked all the fuses in there and all the ones under the dash they were all good..so I Google which relay in the fuse block control of the AC found a picture of it so I swap the AC one for the throttle motor control. I know stupid move! So compressor did not kick on.. put it back together go to pull off and the throttle is not responding to any input! Been in Google for about 5 hours and most of what I see is the IPDM is not serviceable. Once you pull one of those small relays u must replace the ipdm! Please help! This is my nieces car I was just trying to help her out.. Hanks Chad
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you

When you removed this relay, what happened? Did you have to force it out or did it pop right out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey josh I'm chad
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you familiar with ipdm problems?

Hi, Chad. I have ran into a few myself, unfortunately.

I don't think I'm going to have good news for you but I wanted to ask a few questions anyway

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok shoot

So when you removed the relay, did it require any force or did it just pop out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Little force.. Enough to where the needle nose marred up the edge

did you notice any markings on the prongs for the relay? And when you tried to reinstall them, were they met with any resistance as if they did not want to go back in?

By markings, I am referring to any score marks or solder marks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Markings where only 2 prongs were golden in color and the other 2 more silver but no scratch marks or anything.. And yes little resistance going back in

Most of the relays inside the integrated power distribution module are permanently attached, meaning they are soldered or pressed in. It is for this reason that what you read on Google is entirely true. However, depending on your comfort level with electronics, it is possible to remove the ipdm and take it apart, soldering the units back together. This is a risky procedure, but otherwise you are looking at replacing the unit anyway. I have done this once before when a junior technician at my shop made a similar mistake and caused a no-start condition. If you do decide to save the headache and just replace the module, I would suggest using a salvage part from a junk yard as this will be much less expensive.

I can help you with the removal and installation procedure for the unit (which you have already done most of if you were able to access a relay) but I will not be able to help over the internet with disassembly and repair if you choose to go this route. I wish you luck my friend and please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Was afraid u would say that.. But what I took out clearly had prongs 4 in each corner parallel rows 1 silver 1 goldish tapered on the tips... No sign of broken solder.

The next step would be to remove the box and look inside. It is clear that there is a poor connection, most likely due to a press-fit that was not intended to be removed, but it is possible to fix it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Furthermore during my extensive google expedition LOL I found a Mitsubishi relay that looks identical.. And keep in mind I did not search for this part I was on a Nissan forum reading about electrical problems with the ipADM I click on the highlighted word and that part popped up for sale on Amazon
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I was typing didn't read your last until hit send... But just wanted you to know that I did see that..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also I have been to a couple of junkyards there are two different types of ipdm for that year all I'm seeing is the other type and every single one has relays that have been pulled out of them...

Not a problem! It can be difficult to carry on a conversation in a chat room! I would not doubt that Nissan used a relay that is used in other applications, even though the setup used here does not allow removal of the relays. The problem is not with the relay but the box wherein it is not designed in a way that permits removal and installation of the relays.

In this case, Chad, I think the best option is to open the box and look around. I think that you may run into a very obvious, simple repair and maybe even learn a thing or two in the process!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok... Ok. And yes I think so too. Hell i've already learned more about electrical problems than I ever want to know! But on the other hand I am a collision technician so I have had electrical problems in the past and needed to diagnose and couldn't

At least this means you are able to do the disassembly part without much difficulty...and you also should be able to discern visually what the problem is. I think you will find that it is pretty obvious.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you are correct... Hell I've already got the coolant reservoir on my way.. Module in hand
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Anything particular I need to know before I unplug all of the wires

The only suggestion I will make is to make sure you disconnect the battery terminals and leave it that way for about 2 or 3 minutes before continuing and of course make sure the key is out of the ignition before you begin. Other than that, have a clean, dry workspace with plenty of light and don't lose any parts! :-) Good luck!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lol thanks... And 10 4 I at least got something right.. Did battery first. But wouldn't have thought about the lingering power.. Thanks!

Awesome bud, and you are very welcome!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm still letting it sit for a second and working on another car at the shop... When I get it apart should be fairly obvious what problem is hopefully and then I will get back with you.. I'm in Atlanta so it's getting to be pretty late here don't know where you're at.. So should we resume this tomorrow or is there a time limit or whatever?

It is ok, we can get back on it tomorrow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so I gotta work from 8 to 5 but will work on it little bits at a time tomorrow.. So when it's apart I will message you. Thanks again ttytomo gn

ok no problem buddy, I'll get with you tomorrow. Goodnight

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey josh I didn't get a chance to work on it today so I'm doing it now what is the best way to get the relays out that are meant to come out you know the ones with plastic locking tabs on the sides.. The small ones not the 3 big ones in the center those were easy...but small ones on the edge are very tight and my pliers have already destroyed one..?

Those are probably the most difficult relays to remove on a car, Nissan was being a jerk when they designed those. The only advise I can give you is to use a small screw driver to release the locking tab on the side and keep pressure on it while you are pulling it out. You may try to pry it from the bottom to "break it loose" before you actually pull on it. Once it comes up a little bit, the locking tab should stay in the released position.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok kinda what I was thinking.. Also just to be sure I took the black bottom off first big relays out fuses out now these relays then the top black cover exposing the board and all the pins and stuff.. I guess what it is is I'm just a bit nervous taking this apart but ultimately it's broke so I guess I'm not gonna mess nothing up

That's the approach I would take, man. I know it's scary but hey, you can't really make it worse. It sounds like you are doing it right from what I remember about the disassembly. Good luck buddy.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just realized top cover can't come off without removing the relays that aren't supposed to be moved! Lol
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm pointing to where the throttle relay was located.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if they're not supposed to be removed and there's no way to get to the bottom of the pins to repair because the plastic cover is in the way and if you pull apart from the backside then you bring the pans with you leaving the relay with the black cover and their separated either way u go
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not but I'm doubting you I just want this thing fixed. But I said to hell with it and want to head and pulled out the other two relays that are not supposed to be pulled out and the black cover slipped right off now I'm looking at all the pins and they look fine they look like they or made the same as the others and even the same as the fuses pins... Are you 100% sure about what we're doing here... Lol
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Josh where you at buddy... Kinda need ya

Hi, I'm sorry I just got home. I was talking with you from work. Why don't you send me a photo of what you are working on. are you able to do that?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh ok sorry I'm just frustrated... Did u get earlier pic... Well I guess I'm past that so nm... Here is what I've got now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is three or four layers to this board none of which contain any Solder the only Solder on here is on the actual micro processor board thing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not see any breaks in any of the metal strips that carry the power I do not see any loose pins I don't see anything burned on the board I don't see any connections on the board burned or discoloration...it looks fine....

And you say that when you pulled out the throttle relay and reinstalled it there was resistance, but it went in and then from there it did not recognize the throttle response any longer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here are The relays that I swapped over that initially caused the problem you can see the ends are tapered and they look like they are able to be removed.....
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
resistance but just as. Much as the normal looking realize that I pulled out a few minutes ago

You are right, man, it does look like they can be. It clearly says in the owners manual that they are not to be tampered with though. When I ran into this problem in the past, though it was not the throttle relay, I found that the female pins for the relay were damaged from where the relay had been reinserted. Those female pins were soldered to the board and had shifted during replacement of the relay. I had to solder it back to the board and the problem subsided

If there is no damage to the board, the female pins or the relay it makes absolutely no sense that the relay removal and installation was the problem

Was there anything else that went on other than the relay swap?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No nothing else
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Remember initial prob was ac not cool... Jumped pressure sensor then checked for power at compressor.. None.. Then relay swap

When you made the relay swap was the key in the on position?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not at swap over time ... Once swapped I crank vehicle it ran for 20 seconds or so and died... Cut key off swap back ivercheck to see if it would crank and it did put everything back to gather and was going to leave and had no throttle response

Chad, if you don't see any problems inside the ipdm, and nothing else has occurred other than what we have talked about, I am afraid I'm stumped. I am sorry that you spent all this time going through checking inside the ipdm based on my recommendation, I was sure that the issue would be in there based on my previous experiences with them. I will back out at this point and hopefully another expert may be able to shed some light on the problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok and I guess it is what it is we tried ... And thanks for knowing when to say when...and thanks for your time so far
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Josh can you continue to help me with car ?? I have a new ipdm installed car is running fine but the air is not blowing cold.. Compressor no kicking on