Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2009 Nissan Altima 2dr. The steering column is locked and

Customer Question

2009 Nissan Altima 2dr. The steering column is locked and car won't start. What can we do.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: It's keyless entry. Battery is fine 6 months old..
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Car will not START...engine DID turn over. Son in law just drove it up to get us some cold drinks. We're at funeral in alabama...and he drive it back. Steering column now locked and won't start.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When we put the fob in and depress the brake...we get a steering column symbol
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It started and my wife drive it to her mothers. It froze again there and now will do nothing. This is the case even though she made sure the wheel was aligned when she went to reset the anti theft system the windows rolled themselves down, passenger window wouldn't roll itself back up.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we definitely still need help. We actually drove it to get something to eat, it started and ran fine, then we went to her mothers. It started right after we got there. She was there a few hours and it wouldn't start when we went to leave.

Right now since the steering is locked I assume the key will go in but not turn?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is keyless entry. It has a fob..the steering wheel is NOT locked, but the display message is showing that it (the steering wheel) needs to be straightened ? Looks like this ---×----

I think you mean keyless start?

When you press the start button does the instrument cluster power up?

Will it at least crank?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
keyless start. (Push button)Yes the cluster powers up. NO. It will NOT crank. It gives the goofy -----×----- steering wheel display.

So far this looks to be a failure of the Electronic Steering Column Lock (ESCL)

Can you do theses tests https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/BP.png

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not electonically/echanically inclined, so I'll let you know what it is after I have it TOWED to the SHOP to be Fixed, :-( And I'll rate You with stars if You were right.

Please do keep in touch.