Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My daughter has a 2011 Nissan XTRAIL 2.5 manual which has

Customer Question

Hi. My name is***** daughter has a 2011 Nissan XTRAIL 2.5 manual which has recently started shuddering on pull off. But only when in 4x4 mode. No problem in***** If you have any insight on this and can share it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.
Hey there thanks for the question. If it ONLY happens in 4wd then check the front axles and front driveshaft for starters. When you say shudder, are you referring to a quick shudder that disappears? Or that's continuous?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jake. There is a continuous shudder whilst under acceleration but it drops off as you ease off the throttle and is not evident beyond second gear. 4x4 operation still works fine. I understood that the vehicle drives of the front wheels when in***** In that case should I be checking rear drive shafts? Have I got this wrong?
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.
both drive shafts will turn even when in 2wd, it's not until you engage the 4wd that all axles are engaged. So if you only notice it in 4wd then it's likely not the driveshaft itself
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.
these x-trails should be front wheel drive and when in 4wd engage a rear coupling if they are like the U.S. Variants
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yup. That is my understanding (that it is normally front wheel drive - same as the U.S. variants). So, should I be checking the rear axles then?
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.
More than likely it's the electronic coupling at the rear of the driveshaft. Not the actual axles.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Jake. That seems to make sense. I will have couplings checked.
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.
Sounds good, should be a single electronic coupling at the end of the rear propshaft.