tracker40
tracker40, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified,35 years experience, Shop owner, electrical specialist
13677702

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima but and my AC only blows hot

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima but and my AC only blows hot air
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked the hoses for leaks?
Customer: I took it to my mechanic and he put Freon and checked for leaks, it worked for about 2 weeks, semi cold and then back to hot
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not done anything on my own, but willing to try now
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Nissan
Expert:  tracker40 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, it sounds like a leak, a slow one but not real slow, many freon charge kits come with leak sealer in it , some do not, I understand they checked for leaks but sometimes that is difficult. One needs to add a dye to the system, run car till ac quits again, then look for leaks , looking at the UV dye, It could be a line connection or compressor front seal or, the one you can not see? the evaporator behind the dash, In order to confirm leak is at the evaporator? on need to rule out all possible leaks under the hood, its a process of elimination, To save money? you can buy a R134 recharge kit, add the freon that has leak stop in it, then add a can of the dye, Instructions on both will be good and you should not have any trouble doing this on your own, Save lots of money. You hook the can to the low pressure port, pull trigger till guage shows in the full charge range. Then add the can of dye, All can be bought at parts stores. I have included a link showing where the low pressure service port is as well as picture of the can of dye, well one brand.

Please leave feedback for my service provided today, Leave a rating and you can still come back to this same post if any followups, Thanks