Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

2003 maxima the A/C works fine in mornig or evening but when

Customer Question

2003 maxima the A/C works fine in mornig or evening but when it gets over 90 degrees the compressor wont come on and it just blows ambient air heated by the dash of course. Any suggestions?
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: Coolant levelis good and the car dosent get hot. Freon is full.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am an ASC cert mechanic and haven't had time to look at it aas it never happens when I have time to work on it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's pretty much it
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here, it's likely the compressor clutch, they get hot and then develop an open circuit in them. Verify power to the compressor clutch when it does act up. there is a BLACK/YELLOW wire going to the compressor clutch. only one wire, it grounds through the body of the compressor. Check it with a volt meter or test light, if it has power to it when it acts up. Then it will need a compressor clutch. I'd go ahead and put another compressor on it. As it's likely original and just putting a clutch on a 13 year old compressor is probably not a good idea. Let me know what you find there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The compressor is only a few months old but I will check for power to it when I get a chance. Is there a way to do diagnostics on the A/c system? I suspect a sensor or connection as one time it was working ok and stopped for 5 mins and A/C compressor wouldn't come back on? I will check your suggestion .
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Alright, there is a compressor relay. Is it automatic climate control? or manual?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Auto temp control
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Alright, see if you have power to the compressor clutch when it acts up and start there in my opinion. Let me know what you find there. I do have the wiring diagrams for Automatic temp control. Does it have navigation or no?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no navagation
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

Alright, here is the wiring diagram, make sure when it acts up that fuse 66 (10 amp) is still powered up as well. And check power to that compressor clutch. Let me know what you find there.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

The A/C relay is in this diagram. when it acts up, pull the relay and see if you have power to TWO pins in the relay socket. BLACK/RED should be hot and LIGHT/GREEN should be hot. per the diagram.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.

I believe you'll find the culprit tracing that circuit if the compressor loses power when it acts up.