Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Installed new upper timing chain but timing is all off. Car

Customer Question

Installed new upper timing chain but timing is all off. Car won't start. Trying to get the new chain and sprockets lined up with the cams.
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: 321000. Car has been VERY responsive. No engine problems except a loud noise sounding like a bad tensioner when the car was cold at idle. Figured if I was going fix that, i'd also replace the upper timing chain.
JA: What is the model of your '319000 Nissan?
Customer: 1998 Altima
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am, but with a friend who's a mechanic.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: But he doesn't know the engine Okay. How does the $5 work? He'll talk me through it?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.working after noon till just after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • Yes, you have been charged already.
  • Yes, I am aware of the time you asked your question and time I am responding.
  • I will be online a couple more hours after this post.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

I assume it will crank? Can you confirm the crank and cam sensors a re connected and not damaged as well do a compression test?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris