Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My service engine soon light came on along with a red car

Customer Question

My service engine soon light came on along with a red car and exclamation ***** *****ght. I took it to get the code read and they gave me code P0A80. What does that code mean?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: Yes the trouble code was POA80
JA: Great. If you share the code with me, I'll pass it along to the Nissan Mechanic. He'll be able to diagnose your issue much faster with a code. What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2008 Altima Hybrid.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It depends what the issue is. I haven't tried anything yet I just got the code a bit ago
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No just the code did you get it?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the high voltage battery has failed. To verify check the battery voltage readings on the scanner. In the hybrid battery system, check to see if all the battery voltages are equal and that they are close to 15 volts. If they are with in a .5 volts of each other, let it sit overnight and check it in the morning, if more than .5 of a volt, it needs a battery. While running the gas engine and charging the battery, monitor the battery voltages when the engine shuts off. When the engine shuts off, if one battery PID starts to drop, this would indicate a faulty battery cell. To have this test done at a shop would cost around $50. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If it does need replacement of battery how much does that usually run? Also can you recommend a shop near 90650 I can take it to?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Any bigger shop should be able to handle this job but I wouldn't go to a small shop because they might not be familiar with hybrids or have scantool to do testing. The battery is really expensive, about $4000. Let me know how it turns out or if you have more questions, thanks.