Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have an Altima that is jerky/stalling. Also have noticed a

Customer Question

Hello, I have an Altima that is jerky/stalling. Also have noticed a delay when pressing the accelerator. No engine light has come up so no codes are displayed when computer is connected.
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: usually when stopped at a light
JA: What year is your Altima?
Customer: a 2013
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: took it to a mechanic who recommended going to the dealer since there is no code
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Trouble started getting worse last week. Eliminates bad gas since I have filled up multiple times since it started. Vehicle has 80,000 miles on it
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

i don't want to sound trivial here, but when is the last time the air filter was changed? have you inspected it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I keep up with maintenance/oil changes at recommended intervals. I believe 60,000 was the last time it was changed. About a year ago. Not able to inspect it right now since I do not have the car with me.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** car seem to idle lower than normal? or does the idle fluctuate?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It fluctuates, but often goes lower causing it to stall. When driving at speed it doesn't feel like it is going to stall, but pressing the gas feels like the tranny is slipping, then it will downshift, rpms spike and it works for a bit.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** codes currently this could a bit tricky, but one thing we see that causes these issues is carbon buildup on the electronic throttle. This causes the throttle plate to stick and and hesitate on acceleration, it also causes poor idle as the TPS tries to compensate the closed position set but the carbon build up blocks the thin gap provided by the throttle plate.

Another possibility would be that the throttle has lost its learning and adaptations. in either case your best to start by inspecting the throttle first and if its dirty then unplug it and remove it and clean both sides throughly. After cleaning re-install it and perform the learning again.