Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

I have a 2002 Nissan Altima that smokes out the tail pipe

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Nissan Altima that smokes out the tail pipe after sitting for several hours and has a slight miss head gasket and timing chain was recently replaced
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: no it was smoking before the head gasket was replaced and its 2.5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to fix it myself and so far have tried nothing else trying to figure out what could be causing this
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It usually smokes for about thirty to sixty seconds after first cranking idle is kinda low about 500 rpm
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.To help you better I need a little more information.1) what color is the smoke? Blue? Black? White?
2) how thick is it? Really thick smoke? Noticably there? Or barely noticeable?
3) does the miss go away when the smoke clears? Or is the miss always there?Let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny
Do you still need help with this? Please let me know.Thanks
Sonny