Greg, import technician
Experience:  import Technician . Shop Owner ,. 27 years experience,

Red key light on dash board pops up and so does orange key

Customer Question

Red key light on dash board pops up and so does orange key and my car won't start help please
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Battery is new and no
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2011 Nissan Altima
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm going to get a new battery for the key fob and yes I'm no where near a dealership
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I replaced the alternator
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

Hi and good Morning .

Sadly this is a problem with the car recognizing the chipped key .

When the red key icon lights up the system can not read the key and not let you start the engine .

With you not being near a dealer i suggest you have the mobile locksmith come round and check your system .

They have the necessary equipment to check and reprogram the system if needed .

Please click here for a local locksmith locator .

Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about the orange light that says key is this also just a key issue needing reprogramming? Bc this is the difference between me towing my car to the dealership or paying $150 for the locksmith. If I reprogram the key will my car start?
Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

First off the keysmith will check for any related malfunction codes in the immo system and if he only gets a key not recognized

he will just need to reprogram the key to the system .make sure you have all key present as they will all have to be done together.

This is a common issue .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is should get my car to start you believe? If he reprograms the key?
Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

Yes sir ,but like i said you do have a key issue ,this is why the key icon comes on to warn you that the system does not accept this key .