Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

My steering wheel is locked. I tried to press the brake and

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: My steering wheel is locked. I tried to press the brake and move the steering wheel. when I moved the steering wheel to the right. it locked it even further. the steering wheel is not moving. and ignition is not turning on with the keys. what should I do?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: car is Park.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2008 versa
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried pushing the brake, moving the steering wheel. It does not budge. it is stuck. i have not tried anything else.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.

hey there, sorry for the delay.

are you still needing help with this? this is a pretty easy fix i see this alot.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 months ago.

there is a interlock cable for the steering column and the ignition key cylinder. The cable can get bound up and it's hard to release it, but the ignition has to be turned to release it.

To do this put your hand on either the 10 oclock or 2 oclock position on the steering wheel. and pull down firmly while trying to turn the key simultaneously. It will free up just may take a few tries.

if you need anythign else just let me know please.