Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My 2002 infiniti i35 is having trouble starting. I turn the

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: So my 2002 infiniti i35 is having trouble starting. I turn the key it cranks but won't fire. Sometimes it will fire up if i press on the accelerator ehile starting. Once its started it runs fine. I took ythe car to be looked at. Code p0340 and p0430 is popping up. Also, the tcs and slip lights are on as well. I was told it could be several different things. Any ideas?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Its in park. And it does have wheel lock i believe. Not too sure though
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix myself. Other than taking it to get the codes i haven't tried replacing parts yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I gave the car a tune up about 2 months ago. It has about 185,000 miles on it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

What you describe sounds like a bad cam sensor. When they go bad they will set the p0340 code and will have a hard time starting. Do you want to attempt to fix this yourself? The cam sensor is fairly easy to replace.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i want to fix myself. So the cam sensor can cause the tcs and slip light to turn on as well? Also, should i be concerned about the p0430 code? Usually that code means the cadalidic converter. What usually is an issue if the converter is failing?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Anytime the computer (PCM) detects a fault in any of the engine control systems it will trigger the TCS and slip light. This vehicle uses engine timing to operate the traction control system. If you are losing traction the PCM adjusts the engine timing to control the slip. So to prevent the engine from malfunctioning it turns off the traction control system and turns on the TCS and slip lights.

If the catalytic converter is failing it pretty much just means that one of the cats isn't working as efficiently as it should be. This code could be a false activation because of the cam sensor issue.

Take a look at this diagram. It shows the location of both cam sensors. It's usually a good idea to replace both of them. If you have a good scan tool and a lab scope you can check exactly which sensor might be bad, but most of the time you end up replacing both of them anyway.