Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

Accidentally drove 5 miles withe regular unleaded fuel in my

Customer Question

Accidentally drove 5 miles withe regular unleaded fuel in my in laws Nissan note dci(diesel) I pulled over as engine was a little sluggish. Do u think their is much damage done or if I have the gas siphoned out and replaced with the correct diesel gas, I will be ok?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hi im kevin this is unfortunatly a case of the unknown .the only way you will know is to try .have the tank drained a fuel filter changed and refill.the problem you have is the high pressure fuel pump is lubricated by the diesel amd when petrol gets in pump the pump starts to wear very quickly causing the fuel system to fill up with very small metal fillings.thes matal fillings can get stuck in injectors and other fuel components and block them .the recommended outcome for wrong fuel after running engine is to replace everything on the fuel system .but you have nothing to loose drain fuel ,change filter and cross your fingers .sometimes you can get away with it sometimes not

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks - based on ur suggestion of draining tank and replacing fuel filter, if God willing car drives ok then would I know if there was damage to pump or infected?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Yes it will be fairly obvious youll likely have running issues

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service and let me know how you get on and if you need anything else at all