Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

Recently, my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE will not run

Customer Question

Recently, my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE will not run continuously. The engine will start but it will stop running in a few minutes. It can be restarted, but again, it will stop running in a few minutes. Also, the "Service Engine Soon" indicator is lit. Mileage is 173,000 miles. Thank you for your help.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

hi Im Dave, first of all you need to find out why the service engine light is on by having the computer scanned for faults. then we can go from there.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

After it stalls, check for spark. To do this, pull a spark plug wire and crank the engine. If you set the plug wire next to something metal, you should see spark while cranking. If not, then chances are good the distributor has an issue internally and needs to be replaced. While I agree it would be a good idea to get the codes, it's not really required if you do this test.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!