eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

It's flunked the smog check test twice because, I'm told, it

Customer Question

It's flunked the smog check test twice because, I'm told, it hasn't been driven on the freeways at all for some years. It only has 25,000 miles on it and I drive it around town. How many miles do I have to have it driven in order to pass the test, and can it be all on one day? (One mechanic suggested 50 miles on the freeway for two consecutive days, for example.) I will have to pay someone to get it ready to pass so the more information I have, the better. Many thanks.
JA: When was your last oil change? Have any check engine lights popped up recently?
Customer: No check engine lights, although it probably is overdue for an oil change since Nissan has removed all service places from my area. Should I get an oil change from a local mechanic, even though the car is driving very well?
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2009 Nissan Altima hybrid, no longer made (as you no doubt know)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: What do you mean by fixing it myself? I can't drive on the freeways and I'm being told that that's the only solution so as I said I will have to pay someone to drive it enough to pass.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know? When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: It had a lot of work done in June of 2015 by a Nissan dealer in Gardena; for the first few years, I did have a lot of trouble with the car even though I only took it to certified dealers. Since that major re-haul, the car has been driving perfectly.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  eric replied 6 months ago.

HI,

Ok, this is the drive cycle that needs to be performed

1. Ensure that the fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
  2. Start cold (below 86°F /30°C) and warm up until engine coolant temperature is at least 160° F (typically requires at least one minute; up to 3 minutes).
  3. Accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for five minutes.
  4. Decelerate without using the brake (coast down) to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.
  5. Restart and accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for two minutes.
  6. Decelerate with using the brake [or the clutch!] by coasting down to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  eric replied 6 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

16 Jul 2016, 6:12 PM