Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair
7276279

2004 Nissan Quest My van has recently started displaying the

Customer Question

2004 Nissan Quest
My van has recently started displaying the VDC off indicator. When I first start the car and run it, it work fine for about 2 miles. Then the SLIP indicator comes up on the display and the van begins jerking. If I try to accelerate it does it very very slowly and if I go up a hill the car won't run more than 20 MPG. I try shifting it to a lower gear and then back up, and it still does the same thing.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The VDC light comes on when the system sees a fault and when this happens the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is failing you are going to need to start with having the system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. If you can get this done and post back with the results I can direct you in the cause and the correct repair.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The codes that appear are P0340, P0300, P001. I have recently replaced both the camshaft sensors and the crankshaft sensors bought from the dealer directly.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

After you replaced these parts did you clear the computer and see which ones reset?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, how do I do that?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Remove the negative battery cable for a few minutes and that will clear all codes. Once you have done this run it again and let see what codes reset and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We reset as directed and now P0011 is the only code that appeared.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

The code P0011 can be set due to any of the following,

• Camshaft Sprocket
  • Low Engine Oil
  • Defective Passage

In order to determine which is failing you are going to need to do some testing. Are you able to do the testing?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Okay see the steps in the link below and start first with making sure the engine oil is clean and full.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't see a link
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got the link. How do I perform the test if I do not have a Consult II?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately you are going to need a full scan tool that can read the data stream, it dose not need to be a consult but a code reader will not work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we ran the test. What exactly am I looking for when tesing? I don't understand how the diagnostic procedure for crank and camshaft work? Now there are three codes P0011 and P0300
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got the data stream information
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Okay well then connect you scanner and see if you can use it to run the steps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I ran the steps, but i don't know what 1st trip DTC means?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

The first trip would be that the computer reset the code P0011 on the first trip since you cleared the codes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. So if it does not clear the code(not detected) I should continue to the next step? Driving it uphill?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Yes, that is correct.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we performed the test and it continues to detect P0011. Now I got to the diagnostic procedure and how do I check the crankshaft and camshaft. It refers me to a component inspection.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Um.... also as we were performing the test the car caught on fire from under the car.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Its not likely a problem with the crank shaft, are you sure the cam timing is not off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't think so because the car starts without a problem.
Also in the fire both the O2 sensors burned out.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Well you going to need to determine why the code P0011 is setting to get this resolved and it very likely you are going to need some professional hands on help with this,