eric
eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

04 nissan murano. Battery not charging. Neighbor limped into

Customer Question

04 nissan murano. Battery not charging. Neighbor limped into auto shop. Shop too busy but they did diagnosis it as alternator. I'm an idiot and should of tested the old one first but it was oem and these tend to have a high failure rate.So no wiring issues. Everything went smoothly.No charging still. No lights on dash till batt is very low voltage. With a 12.6 battery car just runs and shows no signs.Checked grounds. Tried using jumper cables to make new grounds via chassis and transmission with no change. No change when reving up.I have the same voltage on alternator post as battery post.BUT voltage going through alt fuse is only 8.5-9 volts. I ohmed the fuse and swapped it with a known good working horn fuse. Still nothing.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, I need to get the last 8 of the vin number to pull the wiring schematic for the charging system

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay ill go next door and start working on it.
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, once you get the last 8 of the vin, I will pull the schematics and walk you thru the needed testing

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
4W204745
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, with engine running check voltage on the yellow with black striped wire and the brown wire at the alternator and let me know what they are

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. Should I use battery ground or engine ground on my multimeter?
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Engine ground for this

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay so I just cold started the car the battery light came on when I went to the front of the car to check my multimeter my neighbor said the battery light went out after I think I connected the ground to check I had to probe the brown and yellow wire a little more for it to read on my multimeter but I am getting 11.9-12 bulbs at the brown and yellow wire or black and yellow... I turn the car off and now I'm going to check the other wire
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay I connected to the solid wire and when I went to turn the car on the battery light stays on when I walked up front my neighbor was not here to check I'm only getting 1.35 - 1.4 volts reading with using my ground on the engine I could not rev up the car but when I did go back to the car to turn it off the battery light was still illuminated this time. now I have to clarify before I was having my neighbor in the car and she was the one driving it when it failed and she said she did not see any failure lights until the car went into limp mode.
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, which color wire was reading 1.35 to 1.4v

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay I have to recheck because I have large hands and as you know the space is not great. I do not want to make a paperclip jumper because of the many metal grounds near the alt plug.But I'm 90% sure the yellow striped wire was reading battery current and the solid black/brown wire (closer to front of car) was reading the low voltage
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, let me know. Also, check fuse 14 in the fusebox under the driver side of the dash

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay I confirmed the yellow striped wire is giving batter power. DrOps from 12.6 to 12 when you turn it over and running.The fuse panel in this car is not labeled with numbers only with names
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

ok, see attached for its location

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked the fuse it is good I ohmed it out and I swapped it with the fuse below it (air bag, also ohmed out)
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Based upon testing, the new alternator is defective out of the box.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay can you explain to me a little better so the fact that I was only getting 1.5 volts out of the other wire means what exactly I would like to learn. What are the two wires
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

The yellow with black wire is the wire from the fusebox to the alternator and energizes it. The brown wire goes to the instrument cluster and should have batt voltage out of the alternator. So we have 12v going to the alternator, but not going out to the cluster and not 13.5v going to the battery. These all point to a defective alternator

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay that makes sense. Thank you. I'm so surprised the new nippon denso alt would be DOA....Can you explain why I have low 8.5-9volts at the alt fuse when I have the car running?Would that be an issue?
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

That one doesnt make sense as it feeds the yellow with black wire which does have 12v. Is it possible that you didnt get a good connection on it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's the thing... I've checked that fuse a few times and it's always the same voltage. It had no power until it was running? Or key on? I forget already :'(But yes it went from 7.38 almost instantly up to 8.7-9 volts but never changed
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

I honestly am not sure why it wouldnt have 12v yet the yellow/black wire it feeds has 12v

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great.... so I took that fuse out again and checked it. 8.4 volts. The battery was getting low at 11.8vWhen I put my charger on the battery and came back and restarted the car that fuse was putting out 9.4 so it is slowing increasing with the battery after being charged. Weird thing is I cant get a reading on that 10a fuse in engine bay when I have the fuse in it. I crossed my multimeter probes to make a connection and the voltage dropped to zero.
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

Ok, check some other fuses and see what they are reading

Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

16 Jul 2016, 6:12 PM