Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

I have a 2004 Murano that I purchased used last year. It has

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Murano that I purchased used last year. It has been continuously using oil to the degree that I put at least 3 quarts of oil per month. Now my engine has stopped running. I had the car towed and the repair shop says I will need to pay $3500 to have timing chain relpaced due to low oil.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Did you get my post?
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: 160,000 and the car quit running after start yesterday. Had to have it towed.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not. I have no time to do that.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing other than a continual oil consumption issue which has resulted in the need to repace timing chain so my mechanic says
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

HI there,

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue with your car. Usually these are very well built, however I have seen some issues with oil consumption.

I think I would discuss replacing the engine with a used one. Repairing the timing chains is not going to resolve the oil usage issue for you, so it's a lot of money to put into the engine you have in the car to walk away with a running engine that uses the oil.

Most of the time you can do better with a used replacement engine for that amount of money.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

I hadn't heard back from you so I thought I would touch base and see if there is anything else I can do to assist you with this?