Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

99 Nissan Altima. Opened driver's door with key, alarm went

Customer Question

99 Nissan Altima. Opened driver's door with key, alarm went off, we can't get it to turn off. Car won't start, guess there's an immobilizer in place. Took the dash apart -- don't see one. Also, only have the valet key. Some solutions advise to lock door again -- door lock won't turn to lock position after this was triggered. Will provide more info upon finding an expert.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Added this info, don't know if you can see it (as I don't see it on my end):We only have a VALET key. We tried to have a master made, the key code has dropped out of the system. So that's what we're working with (if it matters.)Many fixes contain a step for locking the car on the driver's side. For some odd reason, ever since this started, we actually CAN'T lock the car with the key -- the key won't actually turn left to lock. It only turns right (unlock.)I locked the door with the key (no remote entry). When I unlocked it this time, the alarm started to go off. It also disabled the car, so we can't start it either. We've tried the following:Pulling horn and antitheft fuses etc. Nothing. Put them back. AAA then pulled some cable on the left side of the car so the horn wouldn't be going off but we can still see the lights flashing, knowing the alarm is still activating. This helped as this happened right outside my mother's apt complex full of 800 elderly and disabled people at 9PM (I was mortified to say the least.)Disconnecting battery, put key in start position, reconnect.Disconnect battery, take out horn fuse, reconnect.Disconnect battery, lock doors (done manually as we can't lock with the key anymore) reconnect battery, use key to unlock drivers side door.Turning key to unlock a couple times, sometimes we held it, etc.I'm going to take a video of the behavior and under the dash before it gets dark and post it, hopefully I can post the video so you can actually see what we're working with here.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here's the video: https://youtu.be/jzFtZFUevDgWe've got to be missing something, or maybe there's a better/easier fix. Thanks guys!
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The video does not work. Which lights are flashing when the alarm is going off?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ahh that's right -- you want to know if it's factory or aftermarket. It's the headlights flashing. Technically just the left right now, whatever the AAA guy pulled turned off the horn sound and the right headlight. I did try the suggestion you gave another guy with an xterra, but it wouldn't work for us since the door won't actually lock anymore with the key since this started happening (maybe because it's valet?)The video was unlisted but I made it public. Does it work now?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Does the key work in the passenger door or trunk?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

The car will not start with those keys. You need to have a chip key.

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Yes the video works now. Thank you..

I just double checked.. 2000 was the first year for the chip key for the Altima. 97 was the first year for the Maxima. So you don't need a chip key..

Does any of those keys work in the passenger door or trunk?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nope they don't unfortunately. It's never worked for the trunk nor the passenger's side, prob because of the valet.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you see an immobilizer anywhere? Can't seem to figure out why it won't start if we can't find one. There's got to be one. It's a trillion and one chance that this is a separate issue that happened at exactly the same time as the alarm problem. It does make noise when we turn the key (clicking whirring sound) but obviously doesn't turn over.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, I had gone to bed since it was late.

Your car doesn't have a immobilizer. But you need to get the key to work in either of the front doors or trunk to turn off the factory alarm. Once you turn off the factory alarm, the car should turn over to start.

What I would recommend you do is to remove the trunk lock cylinder and send it out to get coded so the key will work. Once the key works in the trunk, you can then use the trunk lock cylinder turn off the factory alarm.

Do you have a remote for the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey Jay!Don't worry about the delay, it was late and we certainly weren't going to be doing anything in the dark either ;)Ok so, just to be clear, are you saying that the trunk lock cylinder has the key code on it for the master -- the code that had dropped out of the system? We will be able to make a master with that code? I did read that the code is imprinted on some cylinders in the car but don't know which for this model car. Or do we need to take the actual lock to a locksmith (it's an answer you had given someone else.) If we take it to a locksmith -- would that be a master key? Just want to know what we are getting with this.Also, if the car doesn't have an immobilizer, what's stopping it from starting? Just curious as I thought that was the purpose of that piece -- and I'm trying to learn along the way =)
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If your security system is active it will keep the car from turning over and starting. So we need to get the factory security system disabled.

As for the lock cylinder, you can either remove it and take it to a locksmith, or have a mobile locksmith come to you and code it for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks! Would that then be a master key?In the meantime we'll try calling around to get costs on that and then try it and get back to you.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If you get a key made for the trunk it should work in all doors and glove box and ignition

Let me know how you make out!