Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

I have a 2007 frontier that keeps blowing ecm fuses (10amp)

Customer Question

I have a 2007 frontier that keeps blowing ecm fuses (10amp) I have already replaced the ecm relay. I put a new fuse in and it will start right up . As soon as I shut it off and go to restart it it , it wont turn over and the fuse is blown.
JA: Have you had any recent electrical work done on the car? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: This is the body shop / mech. It ha snot had and collision work done to it. We just replaced a rt frt wheel bearing last week .
JA: What is the model of your '07 Nissan?
Customer: Frontier pick up
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tested the battery and it failed , so I replaced it . then tried to start it , no luck , then called a friend at the dlr. and he told me they have problems with a $2.00 relay , so I changed that out .
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no ,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

1-have you done a voltage drop test?

2-I know it is the ecm fuse that's blows , but when you turn switch off , before you turn it back on and blow the fuse , do a voltage drop test on it, what is it drawing in milli amps ,with car off

3-turn switch off and go with your voltmeter on Milli amp setting , does any fuse in the inside or outside fuse box has any draw on it more than 0.3 Milli amps

so lets test the ecm fuse and all the fuses .

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just got off the phone with a friend in the parts dept. for Nissan and he said the have been having problems with the IPM, I guess they have had shorts in the system and have redesigned it . any thoughts ?

that is 100% true the ipdm is a major issue , in them , i just wanted you to check be sure , if you take it out and open it , you can actually see the circuit board bad inside of it .

it is integrated into your fuse box , it is one unit. and has non serviceable relays in it .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe so . It list's for 203.00

yes , buy from dealer new one , trust me on this , the new upgraded ones, are not failing, i have changed a bunch, they use them on all Nissan, frontier, titan etc...

Hope I was helpful to you , Please let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open For You to Come Back and ask me any Follow up Questions you may have on this issue Even after you Rate Me.

Thank You
Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)