david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

My 2002 nissan pathfinder will crank but not turnoover

Customer Question

My 2002 nissan pathfinder will crank but not turnoover hooked it up and it states that it is the anti theft device is perventing it from starting? Any thoughts to hellp get it started.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working? Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked all of that it all seems to be working
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It seems to be the antitheft system this is what the computer reader says
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  david craig replied 9 months ago.

Hi Im David. do you happen to have another key?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
already tried that and the car does the same thing and will crank but not start

ok. now have you tried more than 5 times with each key?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but just trying to start it

ok. the immobilzer has been locked out...If the security light is on while cranking, the immobilizer has been activated. When the immobilizer doesn't recognize the key, it will disable the ignition system and sometimes, depending on the model, it will disable injector pulse too. Try this with a different key first, because your key has been locked out. Immobilizer system will go into lock mode if the wrong key has been used to try to start the vehicle five or more times consecutively. In lock mode, the immobilizer system prevents the vehicle from starting. Escape from lock mode procedure: Using the correct key, start with the key off and then turn the key on but do not start the engine. Wait 5 seconds and turn the key off. Turn the key back on again and wait 5 seconds and turn the key off. Turn the key back on again and wait 5 seconds and turn the key off (a total of three cycles of key on and wait 5 seconds and key off). Then turn the key on and crank it and see if the engine starts. If this does not work you will have to use a Nissan factory scan tool to get unlocked.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay thanks

did you happen to try that procedure?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
did not work it is with a dealer repair now

ok. hope it all works out for ya.........

How did everything turn out?