Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2006 Nissan titan quit while driving and would not let me

Customer Question

2006 Nissan titan quit while driving and would not let me get it into neutral. I read about taking little cap off next to shifter and pushing screw driver into it. That worked, but I dont have brake lights and truck wont start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes turn over fine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried disconnecting battery to reset but nothing yes hoping to fix
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not at moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a test light to check fuses? That is the first thing I would like to check.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No on side of road we do have turn signals?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

The Brake light circuit is a totally different circuit than the directionals.

I am thinking possibly a fuse may have blown. So since you are on the side of the road you have no choice than to pull each one ( mainly the Ecm control ones ) to see if any are blown.

Let me look up some fuse locations for you to check.. Hang on..

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Check that fuse for me and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Blown
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Ok.. Next thing is to put one of the spare fuses in and see if that resolves your issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well it doesn't seem to fix it but it does spark when put fuse in kik it's got power. I checked to see if it blew again and it didn't
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Well, then the next thing you may not be able to do if you are on the side of the road. Cause if once fuse was blown, there could be more. So I would start checking all fuses with the key off. Also recheck that one and see if it blew again after you tried to start the truck. That is about the only thing you can do right now on the side of the road.

Let me know how you make out checking fuses.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Didn't find anything, what else u thinking, I do all my own mechanical work
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Well, you can try tapping the Ecm fuse in the IPDM. Or remove it and swap it with the fog light relay if you have pliers. Here is a image of the relays location. I made the Ecm relay green so you can identify it. The IPDM is on the Passenger Side of the engine bay all the way to the back of the fire wall. You will need to pinch the release clip on each side to slide it up to access the relay.

If the IPDM is black, then disregard this whole thing. The image is the Old Style White one.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Ecm%20Relay%20location%20in%20IPDM%202.jpg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks I'm trying to get jump start now
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Ok, If it starts with a Jump, you may have a Alternator not charging properly which ran the battery down causing the truck to stall.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sending a pic of conversation, what's relationship with brake lights and shift actuator
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

The shift lock release solenoid gets it's signal from the brake switch. That is the relation. Does the brake lights now work after replacing the fuse?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Recheck that fuse and see if it's blown again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got towed home, fuse not blown. I'm trying to figure out the relationship to no brake lights, truck not starting and shifter needed to be over ridden
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Maybe like the ecm or main computer?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

I will be online around 7 pm EST, can we continue then?