Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

The car was driving fine until stopping at a stop sign. then

Customer Question

the car was driving fine until stopping at a stop sign. then all of sudden it want shift past 2nd, it does nt jerk or anything
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and nothing yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does it feel like it's stuck in 2nd gear? Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the engine is running?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it goes through the gears to 2nd then stops. There is no service light on
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

So reverse works, it does first gear and second and that is it? Is that correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
reverse works fine
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. If you have no Service Engine Soon light on, then you are dealing with a mechanical issue. Either something internally failed not allowing 3 and 4th gear to work or something in the valve body has failed and it's not able to direct pressure to those gears for them to operate. The best way to determine which it is, is to have it checked by a specialist. The valve body is normally removed and they air check all the gears to determine if they can hold pressure. If that passes, then they know the issue is in the valve body. If it fails, then the transmission would need to be removed to be either opened up and overhauled or replaced.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** since in draining the fluid and changing filter
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Yeah, that most likely won't help.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
one more question. does a 2005 Altima 2.5 have the same transmion
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what should be the going price on a transmission swap out
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

02 to 06 are all the same transmission as long as you get the 4 speed transmission. In 2005 they offered a 5 speed transmission which was in the v6 models.

As far as swapping transmissions, do you mean labor? cause the cost of the transmission could vary depending on it's mileage and condition if used.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just labor, my neffew has a 05 with a blown motor so going to talk him out of the car
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

It is around a 8 hour job. So lets say the labor rate is 100 dollars a hour, figure around 800. So I would say some where around that ball park to change it since the subframe has to come down to change it.

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!