Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a nissan frontier with 2.4 motor its been apart a

Customer Question

I have a nissan frontier with 2.4 motor its been apart for over a year. i need help with the upper cam chain instalation
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 150,000 manual and its a 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i cant get a clear info to install timing chain . it over heated and blew a head gasket i took the head to a machine shop, they resufaced it did the valves sold
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: me agasket set i've already installed the head.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Are you looking for timing alignment?

Is your 2.4 a double over head can engine or the single cam?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Double overhead cam
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Okay dose you have two chains, the long one as well as the short one for the cams?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i'm looking for timing alianment
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a idler shaft with circle on it on the cams there are two slots on each gear what do i line up with what
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Okay, see the links below for removal in the first link and install in the second link. Have a look and see if this is the steps your needing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/chain%20removal%20Jul%208.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/chain%20install%20Jul%208.pdf

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there are two indentation on each cam sproket not the one circle as shown in the manual
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Im not sure why that is, they should match the manual. I can open the post back up for you if you like, perhaps someone else has ran into this. I have not.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've been trying to make cents of this for several days . i evan found a diaghram that shows it exactly like mine except when used the motor wont turn over because of course the valves were hitting
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
unless you have an answer i have to go back to work. how much did this cost me?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

I have always lined mine up before removing the chains. Im not sure how you would correct that if that was not done. Let me open the post back up for you, maybe some one else has had to do this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Like many things i should have paid more attention when i took it apart , let me know
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Yea hind site is always 20/20. Let me open it up for you and perhaps some one can help with this,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The other thing is I never took the lower chain off but my timing marks on my lower chain do not look like the diagram show
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
According to the Picture Show the timing mark is like at the 3 o'clock or 2 o'clock position mine is about 10 o'clock position of course when the number one cylinder top dead center
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

if the lower chain hasnt been off,,it is right,,though it may not align back up with the other marks because the chain is so long,,it may need to turn many times before it will all align

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you saying if I turn the motor over manually several times or many times it will eventually line up as the diagram shows

yes,,if it has never been off and is still in time

the best thing to do is to start from scratch if you arent sure

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that only one portion of the problem big problem is that the upper cam chain two indentations on each sproket

i will give you instructions,,do it as it says and it will be right and cant be wrong..stand by

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fot985etf44zxk/0708-frontier-Timing%20chain%20tensioner.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/7fot985etf44zxk/0708-frontier-Timing%20chain%20tensioner.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I never took the lower cover off for the lower chain off I'm on the freeway right now it's not like I can cut and paste anything right now what are you trying to tell me I need to do

if the bottom has never been off,,it should be right and all you bneed to do is to time the top

but,,if you are worried about the bottom also..take it apart and remove the chain and start from the beginning

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I took the motor apart I put the timing mark on top dead center and when I took the head off the first piston was at the top and I did not move the motor the whole time it was a part
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I look at that whatever you would call it the jackshaft that has the large and small sprocket on it when my timing mark just pointed down the way the diagram shows my yellow link on my lower chain is not where it shows on the picture
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
also the cam chef some cells on the gear there is not one single March. Two indentations like a slot about I don't know hundred degrees apart from each other

it doesnt matter,,you dont need to wrry about where the piston ins,,when you align it as i gave you,,it will be right and cant be wrong

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know if I'm not being clear here but there is no mark camshaft gear sprocket are two lines on each one

it must have a mark to align with the chain..are you sure you arent looking at them on the wrong side?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Timing marks could possibly be on the inboard side of the year gear
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There's a circle in Denton on to the jackshaft 1 butt one's on the camshaft do not have anything that resembles that

a circle/dot would be your mark