Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

Shifter sometimes get stuck in park, no codes, 2012 rogue,

Customer Question

shifter sometimes get stuck in park
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: no codes
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2012 rogue
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: probably not myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: sometimes if i shut the vehicle off and reinsert the key it will shift out of park
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

HI there,

There are 2 common problems that cause this on these cars.

First, there is a small switch in the shifter that fails, when this happens it doesn't make the connection and the car won't come out of park. Sometimes an easy test for this is to wiggle the shifter and see if it will then come out of park.

The other issue is the brake light switch. This one, you need a helper to watch the brake lights and it has to be when you can't get it out of park. If the brake lights aren't working, then it's likely the brake light switch giving you grief.

Either one requires replacement of the faulty part to resolve the issue.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!