Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985

My 2001 Nissan Maxima SE, this afternoon, my rear brake

Customer Question

My 2001 Nissan Maxima SE, this afternoon, my rear brake lights, including the one in back window remains lit even after I park. This is the first time this has ever happened. I bought the Nissan in summer of 2001, it has approx. 133,000 miles on it. Can you assist me with what the problem may be?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Most likely the brake switch got knocked out of adjustment. It's down at the bottom of the steering column usually and under the dash and near where your feet would be when driving, so it is possible to kick it.

Let me double-check that though and be sure and if it is there you could remove it while leaving the wires hooked up and with nothing pressing in on the switch the brake lights should now be out.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Yes, that is where it is on the brake pedal bracket, here is the wiring diagram confirming that.

If you remove the switch and the brake lights are still on, either that switch is bad or there is a short circuit, so next would be to just disconnect the wires from the switch and if the brake lights go out now, it's a bad switch.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

If it just needs adjusted,

Clearance between brake pedal stopper rubber and threaded end of switch should be 0.01-0.04". To adjust, loosen lock nut and turn switch body. After adjustment, tighten lock nut.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for reply, I am elderly, it is night time, and I will try to fix the problem in the morning, if not somewhat tonight. Hope- fully, I can do it myself rather than take to an expensive mechanic.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Good luck, I am here if you need me.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.