Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

How do I get my parking brake to release? My 2006 Maxima SL

Customer Question

How do I get my parking brake to release? My 2006 Maxima SL has been sitting up for over a year due to transmission problems. Now that I want to get it replace the parking brake will not allow the car to move forward or reverse.
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: yes and yes. I actually ask the shop foreman at my local Nissan dealer and his suggestion was to beat on the disc rotor till the inner parking brake released.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. so far I have tried to force free them by putting the car in drive and reverse, but that didn't work. My next idea is to cut the brake cable and use puller to take off the disc brake rotor which I'm sure will damage it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Let's see if you can adjust the parking brake shoes in so that they let go before you try cutting the cable. That's going to be expensive to replace.

Take a look at this diagram:

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

You will need to pull the rear wheels and then pull the rubber plug in the rotor so you can see the parking brake shoe. If the hole doesn't line up so that you can see the adjuster let me know.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Here is a diagram of the brake cable system. You will want to inspect the cables to make sure nothing is pinched and keeping the brake applied.