peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

My Nissan 350z roof top can't open nor close. The dash board

Customer Question

My Nissan 350z roof top can't open nor close. The dash board light shows my roof top is opened (though it's closed). When I press the open/close button, only side window reacts and 5th bow refuse to open. Most of issues posted online say that their 5th bows can open but storage lids fail. However in my case, both of them fail.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tested the dashboard light bulbs?
Customer: For the fuses, not yet. I don't think dashboard light bulbs has problem
JA: What year is your 350z?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I plan to go to the mechanic shop, but I need to know about the problem
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Do I need to change the roof top or do I need to look at elec problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here and the most common issue is a fault with one of the roof limit switches itself needing replaced.Your roof uses several limit switches that operate the top and when one or more of these fail this causes this issue here.What has to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this fault here.The scan tool is also used to monitor the limit switch position signals to locate one or more that may be faulty needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete