Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a weird flapping sound when I drive and when I brake

Customer Question

i have a weird flapping sound when I drive and when I brake it goes away and when I take right turns
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

HI there,

Have you done anything yet to check it out?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I looked under the car and check the tire to see if anything was loose but nothin was
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Ok

Based on what's happening I would say we likely have one of two issues happening.

It's possible you have a loose brake pad in there and when you step on the pedal it's tightening up.

Second thing would be a possible bad wheel bearing although to be honest I haven't ever heard it described as a flapping. They are usually more of a rumble type of sound. Usually though when the sound goes away on turns it's a faulty wheel bearing. You might be able to jack up the front end and see if there is any play in the wheel. If there is then it's likely the wheel bearing.

One more thing, if the wheels have been off the car in the last couple hundred miles it could be a loose wheel, so if this is the case be sure to make sure the lug nuts are tight. They loosen up on these once in a while.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I hadn't heard back and was wondering if you need any further assistance with this?