Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I'm changing my tumbler/ignition assy because my wheel nor

Customer Question

I'm changing my tumbler/ignition assy because my wheel nor ignition will turn w/key.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's in park and I'm assuming it does. 2008 sentra
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have the ignition switch off. Tried to turn w/screwdriver but it didn't start the engine.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is this the knob type of ignition where you can keep the key on you and just turn the knob to start the car?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No its a regular ignition/insert key.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Does the key lock and unlock the door? Did you try to turn the wheel while trying to turn the key?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The key does unlock the door. I tried to turn, jiggle tap on the under side of the ignition assy and on the key itself w/a mallet.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Don't use a Mallet... Is the car on a hill?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Car is on a flat surface.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Did you try turning the wheel to the right and inserting the key and attempt to turn it while slowly applying pressure to the steering wheel? Then try turning it to the left?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That was my 1st course of action.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Did you try to raise the front wheels off the ground to take pressure off the steering lock?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did that as well.
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Then the steering lock is jammed. To release it the ignition switch will need to be removed. To remove it you need to back off the tamper proof bolts by either drilling them out or by using a punch

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok...I had out the ignition switch; do I need to take off the whole assembly?
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Yes, cause the whole assembly has the steering lock as part of it

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for my sporadic responses (work). But I have free time now. Questions I have..I had the switch out and tried to start the vehicle using a srewdriver, the car lit up but would not start 2) how do I drop the steering column to punch the safety bolts to release the assembly
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

Well, if you tried to use a screw driver to start it, I am sure the screw driver does have a chip in it for it to start the car. On the end of the ignition switch is the NATS antenna ring which reads the chip in the key. The steering lock is a mechanical function. When you turned the ignition, did the steering lock release?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No the steering lock did not release.
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

Then you need a complete ignition switch assembly. The steering lock is a mechanical function of the ignition switch assembly.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK. would you suggest an aftermarket assembly w/a generic key?
Expert:  Jay replied 7 months ago.

You have to get a ignition from the dealer. You have to use a chip key. Other wise it will never start since the computer is looking for a chip signal to allow the car to start.

Do you have any more questions on this?